Monday, September 13, 2010

Sundae Sunday

At the church picnic yesterday, I asked a student if she was going to be able to come to youth group that night. She simply and matter-of-factly said, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

She brought a cake to youth group that she had carefully baked and frosted herself. It said "Pilgrim Youth 2010" in blue squiggly letters and was framed with two brown crosses.

I wouldn't have missed last night for the world either.

Five students, two volunteers, and one youth leader gathered together in the fellowship hall to celebrate God and one another.

We ate ice cream sundaes that a friend had to build for us.

We played medic marshmallow dodgeball, which was a blast. It is always a good sign when the girls are asking, "Can we play again?" even though they are getting pelted with marshmallows.

We talked about David and Jonathan's friendship. I am looking forward to see the friendships in the group continue to grow and pray that as the year continues I see the students become more comfortable with sharing their hearts with one another.

We signed youth group covenants and I laid out a few guidelines for behavior. That was a tricky thing to do. I tried really hard not to make eye contact with anyone, but of course, after I finished the most likely candidate to have behavioral issues said, "Why did you look at me when you got to the remove part?"

I explained that I was trying not to make eye contact and that I didn't expect to have to use pause, move, or remove, but thought I would put it out there anyway. It does tell me that the student was listening, right?

The volunteers helped me clean up and sent me home with a container full of cupcakes. They had even brought cherries with them to put on top of the whipped cream. I drove home, thanking the Lord for great volunteers, great students, and a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment